Introducing John A. Alberts | Attorney | Founder of Bedlam Law
Growing up in rural Oklahoma, John’s parents raised him to have strong values, to be honest, and to work hard. As a child, he enjoyed participating in extracurricular activities like student council, football, FFA, and his church’s youth group program. John spent nearly every summer working on his family farm. After graduating from Yukon High School, John attended Oklahoma State University, where he enjoyed being a part of the greatest homecoming celebration in America and also helped the Sigma Nu Fraternity. Oklahoma City University provided the legal education which allowed him to obtain his first job as an Assistant District Attorney in Kay County, Ponca City, Oklahoma. John enjoyed Kay County and working as a prosecutor in the District Attorney’s Office. Kay County is also where John met the love of his life, his wife Carla. After a little over four years life took John and Carla back to Oklahoma City, where he began his journey into private practice.
John has been an attorney for more than thirty years. The majority of that has been spent in private practice in the Oklahoma City area.
John and Carla enjoy watching their family and their many activities, as well as time spent cheering for the Oklahoma State Cowboys and Oklahoma City Thunder. Retreats to the family farm allow them to get away from the big city and enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors.
John served on the Yukon City Council, where he served several terms as Mayor. Meeting and helping people has always been a strong passion of his. As Mayor a young cub scout once asked him “Why do you want to be Mayor?” John thought for a moment, and then stated, “Because I feel it is our responsibility to leave this place better than we found it”. With the support of his family, John has been able to serve Yukon for over fifteen years. It is his hope that his service has improved the community for his family and neighbors. John became an attorney for the same reason, to help others improve their own personal situations.
In 2018, John made a change and moved the practice from downtown Oklahoma City to his hometown of Yukon. Bedlam Law was born and the idea of helping others came full circle back to Yukon where he grew up helping and serving. Bedlam Law serves the state of Oklahoma, but most of the practice if focused in Central Oklahoma. Bedlam Law has grown and Bison Law, a sister law firm located next door, opened to help injured Oklahomans.
Bedlam Law Firm provides a “team” approach, which is unique to its clients. They begin by evaluating the issues, formulating a “plan” and then implementing the approach. In his experience, John has found this unique process has allowed his clients to find comfort in the resolution Bedlam Law helps provide. The team of lawyers and staff at Bedlam Law are dedicated to helping each client with their unique issues.
- Oklahoma City University – (J.D. 1990)
- Oklahoma State University – (B.S. 1987)
- Member of the Oklahoma Bar Association – Current
- Member of the American Bar Association – Current
- Member of the Canadian County Bar Association – Current
- Member of Yukon Chamber of Commerce – Current
- Yukon Community Support Foundation Board Member – 2002 – Present
- Martindale – Hubbell AV Rated Lawyer – 2008 – Present
- Young Lawyer Division of the Oklahoma Bar Association – Director at Large – 1992-1994
- Kay County Bar Association – Secretary – 1993
- Kay County Bar Association – 1990-1994
- Young Lawyers Criminal Law Committee – 1994
- Young Lawyers Services for the Underprivileged – 1992
- Yukon Cemetery Board – 2022 – Present
- Member of Yukon City Council – 2010-2018
- Member of City of Yukon, Oklahoma Parks and Recreation, Board Member – 2008-2010
- Member of Yukon City Council – 2002-2008
- Mayor of City of Yukon, Oklahoma – Six terms between 2004-2017
- Planning Commission City of Yukon, Oklahoma – 2000-2002
- Bedlam Law Firm – 2018 – Present
- Alberts & Associates – 2008
- Abel, Musser, Mares, and Kouri – 2000
- Goolsby, Olson, and Proctor – 1997
- Bloodworth & Associates – 1995
- Kay County District Attorney’s Office – 1990
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Personal Injury
- Nursing Home Neglect